When you clean your windows, do they end up looking drab, dingy or even dirtier than before? You’re not alone. Cleaning windows correctly can be tough on your own, but with the right tools and basic know-how, you can have clean windows without streaks every time you try.
Streak-Free Window Cleaning Tips
Use these streak-free window cleaning tips from the expert technicians at ServiceMaster Clean®, and you’ll be seeing clearly again in no time.
- Create a mixture of 1 part white vinegar and 1 part hot water.
- Dip a sponge into the mixture.
- Ring most of the moisture out before rubbing the solution onto the window. You don’t have to completely drench the window – just getting it damp will work.
- Dip a squeegee into the solution. Pro tip: if you don’t have a squeegee, wipe the solution away with 100% cotton cloths, microfiber cloths or even newspaper. As long as you use a lint-free material to wipe away the vinegar solution, your windows should have a streak-free shine.
- Starting at an upper corner of the window, draw your squeegee or dry cloth down in a straight stroke.
- Between wipes, wring out your cloth, or wipe off the rubber edge of the squeegee with a sponge or 100% cotton cloth. Our experts recommend the squeegee method, since reusing a rung out cloth can still leave streaks.
- Go back to the top of the window and repeat the process until you’ve squeegeed the entire window.
- Pull the squeegee across the bottom of the window to catch any remaining solution drops.
For large windows, try squeegeeing in a snake shape instead. To do this, start in an upper corner and draw the squeegee horizontally. Then, after you wipe off the squeegee, turn it and lower the squeegee to the water line. Draw the squeegee horizontally the other way, switching off from moving it left-to-right and right-to-left. As you work your way down larger windows, you might have to touch up the edges with a cotton cloth.
Sometimes, it’s best to leave large, time-consuming and potentially risky tasks like window cleaning to the experts. Not only will you get a streak-free shine every time, you’ll be putting the safety and sparkle of your windows into the hands of trusted professionals, decreasing your risk of damaging the windows or injuring yourself. In fact, there are several benefits to hiring professional window cleaners to consider before putting in work yourself.
If you want clean windows without streaks and without the hassle, call the experts at ServiceMaster Clean® to create a cleaning plan that meets your exact needs. Our technicians come prepared with advanced cleaning tools, techniques and training to get the job done right both quickly and effectively so you don’t have to waste a single day on streak-free window cleaning.